Rodent Control in Highland Park, IL
Rodents can cause enormous damage to your Highland Park home. If left unchecked, they can even cause you to become sick. For this reason, here are some rodent control tips that will tell you how to prevent, identify, and treat rodent infestations.
If you need rodent control in Highland Park, Illinois, contact a professional.
Preventing Rodent Infestations
The best strategy for combating rodent infestations is to prevent them from ever occurring in the first place. This can be done effectively through these strategies:
- Seal up any gaps or holes inside of your house. Take an especially close look at kitchen cabinets, refrigerators, stoves, around the fireplace, and around doors. Mice and rats will often enter the house through these small openings that you may not be aware of. Use steel wool and caulk to close these holes up so that rodents will stay where they belong: outside.
- Keep garbage cans and wood piles off the ground and your grass cut short. This prevents the rodents from having a place to nest.
- Clean up spilled food immediately after it spills. In addition, store food in plastic or metal containers that the rodents can’t get into. Put pet food bowls in a secure place overnight and bring them back out when you are awake during the day. If there is nothing available for the rodents to eat, they won’t stick around for long.
Identifying Rodent Infestations
Unfortunately, you may not always be able to follow this advice before it’s too late, so here are some ways that you can know if your house has already been infested with rodents.
- There are rat droppings around food packages, under the sink, or in cupboards.
- You see material that looks like its been used as a nest, such as dried plant matter, fabric, or shredded paper.
- Food packages look like they have been chewed through or gnawed on.
- There are stale smells coming from areas of the house that are hidden from view.
- You actually see a rodent.
How to Treat a Rodent Infestation
There are two main ways that rodent control professionals treat a rodent infestation: traps and rodenticides.
If traps are used, most professionals use lethal ones, such as snap traps. If non-lethal traps are used instead, in order to allow the rodents to be kept alive and released into the wild, this may allow the rodents to return into the house through a hole that the homeowner did not know of. Aside from this, however, traps can sometimes be a viable method for professionals to treat rodent infestations.
The other option professionals sometimes use is rodenticides. Rodenticides are poisons made especially to kill rodents. Rodenticides sold on the market are required to have tamper resistant bait stations that prevent them from being eaten by pets or children. It is important when using rodenticides that they be used correctly and that all instructions on the label are followed correctly. If this is not done, the rodenticides may pose a danger to other living things in the area. For this reason, it is best to hire a licensed professional when using them.
If you would like more information on rodent control in the Highland Park, Illinois contact a professional today.
The following are a list of zips codes of serviceable areas in the Highland Park, Illinois area: 60035
Hammond, Illinois Chicago Heights, Illinois Bartlett, Illinois Schaumburg, Illinois Elgin, Illinois Northbrook, Illinois Arlington Heights, Illinois Mount Prospect, Illinois Evanston, Illinois Hoffman Estates, Illinois Burbank, Illinois